Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.
Passiflora
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identification of passiflora

2 posters

Go down

Identification of passiflora Empty Identification of passiflora

Post by Nick Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I bought A Few seedlings listed as p. lutea a few months ago and now that they have grown a little im unsure as to its true name. In my books and all pictures online The leaves look one way but this has rather long deply lobed 3-lobed leaves with the center lobe atleast an inch longer then the outer ones. The smaller unformed leaves from seedling are all 2-3 inch long unlobed leaves. P. lutea is discribed as 3-lobed with shorter middle lobe. And my books list p. lutea as without glands, this plant has a 2 glands right behind the leaf.
I understand that passiflora develope different leaves during stages in growth but to have leaves so off from any discription I find hard to believe. Not to mention the glands again... Some please explain why you are sure this plant is . lutea and if its not please explain why it is not. thanks.

Last edited by nickisking420 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Identification of passiflora Empty Re: Identification of passiflora

Post by EWortman Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:31 pm

I can't see the pics. We have two different lutea varieties, and they have ridiculously variable leaves even on the same plant. I have single lanceolate leaves, and T- shaped, and batwing and more. Some have variegation, and some are perfectly green.
EWortman
EWortman

http://www.bloomingpassion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Sorry Eric,

Eaglefour sent me photos of his p. lutea and the younger leaves look the same so im sure its p. lutea. I deleted the photos off flickr, and forgot it would effect this posting so i do not have pictures though if still need i can always take more. From the leaves you listed my p. luteas have rather long T- shaped leaves. Thanks for your help as always, you have much information to share.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by EWortman Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Since I already took some pictures, I'll just go ahead and post them.

Identification of passiflora Img_6314

Identification of passiflora Img_6313

These are not only on the same plant, but they are on the same branch!

I have another variety, 'Sapelo', (newly registered by Dan Long of Brushwood Nursery), that has very skinny leaves shaped harshly like a T, or lanceolate, and all variegated, but the plant is in a spot not too easy to take pictures of...
EWortman
EWortman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Nice photos Eric, my leaves have not even started to look like that. Though my biggest one is only a meter long as of now, like I said in another post im out of my state for the week so i will try to get better pictures of my p. lutea leaves but as of now here are two photos from my iphone I took of the largest leaf and the younger leaves.. After looking at your leaves again I have become uncertin.

Identification of passiflora 6030814788_5a0a0957f0
Identification of passiflora 6030814786_c48e990278
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by EWortman Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm leaning toward P. suberosa, P. tridactylites, or one of the other many in that complex that are so confused and entangled to make my head spin. K. Porter-Utley recently wrote an essay breaking out all of the Cieca section. If you are interested in reading it, let me know. Here's a link about her research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSINGF0Hv2w
EWortman
EWortman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:11 am

Im glad you said p. subrosa as that is the only reason I posted this, My main concerns with this plant were its slight corky bark at the base. I, from my books, put together that it was p. suberosa from just that but was promised it came from a p. lutea. The plants were only a few inchs at the time so I figured i would wait. Im fully aware that sellers mislist plants all the time so this is no suprise but as I have grown nether I had to ask here. another reason I thought It was p. suberosa was the two petiolar glands on the leaf stem, as p. lutea was listed without petiolar gland from what i remember.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:50 am

You werer right Eric. Passiflora Suberosa. For future viewing of this post.
Flower, fruit, leaf.
Identification of passiflora 6317420572_5b6cbdb661
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down