Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.
Passiflora
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is passiflora sherry self fertile?

4 posters

Go down

Is passiflora sherry self fertile? Empty Is passiflora sherry self fertile?

Post by Nick Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:12 pm

the question explains it. i have a fruit on mine. if it is then let me know if not then i hve some checking to do
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Is passiflora sherry self fertile? Empty Re: Is passiflora sherry self fertile?

Post by Nick Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm

thanks for the views but no posts, to answer my own question and for anyone else who cares, it doesnt seem to be very easy to self pollenate but I have however managed to get a self fruit from hand pollenation after a few tries, there is an account that says they have also got fruit and hybrid with p. sherry from p. cinncinata pollen(tho it has never flower,signs of not being compatible), and I have also used p. sherry pollen to pollenate p. lady margrate and vice verca after about 20 flowers failing I now have a fruit on both, pollenated by each, so like many asume P. sherry is prob related to p. lady margrate, but they cant be to close as it does take some work. Now to wait and see if they fruits are seeded and will even grow....Im sure they will but the wait stinks
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by EWortman Thu May 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Nick, P. 'Sherry' is not self-fertile, nor is P. 'Lady Margaret'.
EWortman
EWortman

http://www.bloomingpassion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sun May 15, 2011 7:07 pm

wortman, Yes passiflora sherry is self-fertile. It doesnt take pollen from itself or others very well but still the occaasional fruit it does grow is without a doubt a self fruit. Its not my fault that many have been misled about this but I am here to answer other questions to help. And I also never said p. lady margaret we a self. It doesnt breed well with anything, but again like I stated above does cross pollinate poorly with much effort with p. sherry.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by shawn.mattison Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Congrats on your fruits Nick! I grow both P. 'Lady Margaret' and P. 'Sherry,' and I agree with you that they are somewhat related.

Per the 2010 Supplementary Notes to the Hybrid Register, P. 'Sherry' is "Believed to be a hybrid of P. incarnata and P. coccinea (P. miniata)." Per the same source, P. 'Lady Margaret' is "Shown correctly in the 2003 Register as P. coccinea × P. incarnata, but incorrectly in the 2000 PSI checklist as a hybrid of P. caerulea. Following the revision of certain species within Distephana by John Vanderplank in 2006, the P. coccinea parent could have been P. miniata."

I have not had any luck selfing either of these hybrids and am excited to hear how your P. 'Sherry' seedlings look, should they grow. If it is at all self-fertile, it is barely so.

My rule with hybrids is to always wait to see the seedling plant's characteristics before being certain who the pollen father was. Sometimes it seems you have a hybrid, when the plant actually selfed with that tiny grain of self pollen that snuck in there with the attempted hybrid pollen (examples of plants famous for this phenomenon are P. herbertiana and P. edulis). And the same is true in reverse: sometimes it seems a flower has selfed when somehow other pollen has made its way to the stigma (on an insect, a bird, or equipment used for hybridization).

Good luck, and keep us posted on any seedlings!

shawn

shawn.mattison

Back to top Go down

Post by ethan.nielsen Tue May 17, 2011 3:41 am

I had a fruit form on Sherry once, but it aborted. I don't know what pollinated it, but I thought it probably selfed.

I thought I'd share this old hybridizer's adage, "Don't count your seeds before the fruit ripens" or is it, "Don't count your plants before your seeds germinate." Either is applicable, perhaps the former moreso. A selfed fruit is very likely to be hollow in my experience. I have no trouble getting fruits on P. xColvilli 'Big', but I've only ever had two fruits that had seed, each with one seed inside, and neither seed germinated after attempting embryo rescue.

That being said, I hope you get viable seed! That would definitely be exciting. I asked Frank Moser about the parentage of Sherry, and the only thing he told me is that it's a complex cross. I would guess it has a similar parentage to 'Lady Margaret.'
ethan.nielsen
ethan.nielsen

http://www.ethannielsenarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue May 17, 2011 5:54 am

shawn,

Thanks for reading my post. In regards to the possible cross pollen, Your correct as until maturity of the seeds Ill have no clue. But if it helps to convince you no other plants in its relation had even flowered yet, and I use new brushs every time I pollinate something (this gets annoying going back and fourth from the art store, but I think its worth it). This particular p. sherry is also one of my indoor plants so that takes out critters. Even so, the fruit is maturing now and is def not hollow.I will keep posting. It wont be more then another month or so befor it falls off and I will check for seeds. I also have a very nice fruit on my passiflora Etna. Like p. Sherry and p. Lady Margaret it has what I consider incompatible genes and truly never fruits so im very exctied. Ill post pics of it also if need be in my photo posts. Again, thanks for reading and posting your own info.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down